In 2006 Arohanui joined with the Ministry of Education to provide a specialist intinerant service for students funded through the Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS).
The vision of the project is to:
- Strengthen families, communities, schools and teachers by building active relationships with each other
- Contribute to and enhance learning, social and cultural outcomes for high and very high needs students
- Provide opportunites to share information about practice, and build on what is working well
The project aims to:
- Maximise resource delivery through MOE–Special Education and special school collaboration
- Build the capacity of local schools to cater for students with special needs
- Raise the achievement of ORS students
- Ensure that all students regardless of their educational setting have access to qualified special education teachers who will work on a regular basis alongside students, teachers and teacher aides within their regular educational programme
- Minimise difficulty in recruiting suitably qualified teachers
- Provide professional development, practical support and supervision to host school teachers and support staff
- Share resources that meet students' specific needs
- Liaise with MOE–Special Education and other relevant outside agencies.
The itinerant teachers are experienced special educators with a wealth of knowledge and skills to support families, students and local schools in catering for special needs students within their mainstream setting.
For further information about this service please contact